Friday, March 7, 2008

MANILA, Philippines - "Pacmania" hit the Bay Area on Thursday (Friday in the Philippines) in San Francisco when Filipino boxing champion Manny Pacquiao came to visit the Titanium Training Center for his public workout.

Eastsideboxing.com said that fight fans with their children packed the gym to see the Filipino boxing sensation, who is preparing for his rematch against Mexico's Juan Manuel Marquez on March 15 (March 16 in the Philippines).

"I've never trained harder - never - for a fight," Pacquiao said as quoted by the boxing Web site.


Pacquiao wowed the crowd with his fighting stance and other training regimen like jumping rope and hitting the mitts before signing autographs.

"Two days ago I hit the mitts with Freddie Roach for 17 straight rounds with no timeouts. I run high in the mountains every day, then I go to the Wild Card gym and train 3 hours non-stop. I don't like timeouts while training and do not use them," Pacquiao said.

"I am very serious about this fight as I know Marquez is the last great Mexican to beat. There is no more Morales or Barrera. I have a lot of power. In my heart I don't believe Marquez can stand up to my power. It will be too much for him to overcome. I am focused on Marquez and my boxing career. When I am in training, that is all that matters to me," he added.

Pacquiao's trainer Freddie Roach said that Manny made a good decision to train in the United States.

"The best thing Manny did was come to the US and train. He has worked very hard. He's been very tough on his sparring partners," Roach said.

"One got hit on the chin, went down, continued but went home the next day. Manny is very serious about Marquez, which he should. It is a difficult fight and Manny understands that. Marquez represents the last line of defense in Manny's domination of Mexican champions. We
know he's prepared to go down swinging," he added.

On the other hand, an article by John Chavez on boxingconfidential.com revealed that, "Had the open workout taken place on a football field in a city just south of San Francisco named Daly City, there's no doubt in my mind that thousands of fanatics would have shown their faces in support of their hero."

Chavez added that fans were screaming the boxing icon's name like a rock star when he entered the training center.

Chavez said that the sounds generated when Pacquaio hit the mitts is "comparable to that of a Desert Eagle gunshot as Manny pounded Roaches mitts with a ferocity that would make any Juan Manuel Marquez supporter quiver with fear."

Chavez added that "...Maybe not Desert Eagle gunshots but at least .38 caliber-type fireballs are what the southpaw's punches were reminiscent of."

Chavez quoted Pacquaio as saying that "Marquez might be 34 years old but he's still a relatively fresh fighter. He hasn't engaged in too many wars over the course of his career so I feel that he has a lot more left in the tank than many people believe.This will be the most difficult fight of Manny's career Freddie. It's gonna be a tough, tough fight!" - GMANews.TV